Monday 28 July 2014

Lesson(s) to be learned from a final year passed out student . . .

Hi

Its been almost four months looking at the face my blog; my very second post in 2014.
Being an engineering final year student, I was all focused on getting a job like many of us. I started brushing up my existing skills.

My first interview with the software giant; my dream company; Microsoft was a failure. The pain and the depression that I felt after loosing it is still unexplainable. I was able to clear 3 rounds and I was rejected in the fourth round.
"I studied hard, worked very hard for this but was a failure."
The only line that was looping in my mind was "I AM FAILED" .
Slowly, as time passed by, the campus placements in my college started. The depression level that I was already in because of loosing Mic., made me loose "TCS - Tata Consultancy Services" too. I was not even able to clear the damn aptitude test and this added fuel to my feeling of being a failure.



There were so many things running in my head. Family; few of my friends were already placed; most of all is,  the concern and poor,pity look that people shower on a failure guy like me.
This made me react quite oppositely; I lost interest to do a job. You will not believe this just happened. I left out all the preparation, material, books, coaching and classes and almost like everything except food,sleep and very particular set of friends; including a girl who was/is always with me, and who was placed in TCS.

And one fine day, just because my friends are attending an off-campus drive, I gave a try. Believe me, I attended the drive in a T-shirt and jeans unlike the routine kind of Formal; Ironed; Neat; Simple; Business wear. It was all magical. Cleared all the rounds very easily. It seemed very simple for me. Out of a 2500+ candidates that appeared only 15 people were selected and I turned to be one among them.
I was informed that I was selected to be a part of their company "Virtusa Corporation".
I was able to wipe out all the pity looks of people around me and I am now suddenly, considered a successful-student even by the so called educated-society too; which I never believed in;
Deep inside me is no satisfaction because i love making products; I love developing mobile apps; bringing technology to masses; make people's life both ease and easy with the help of technology and I am not into a product based company.
Then came the real question.
"Whether to join the company or not?" because this is a service based company. Its moderately large, a cmmi level 5, 3.3LakhRupeesCTC; but still inside me is the doubt of joining it or not.
During this phase of decision making are our final semester exams  and with in 20 days after my exams, came the joining mail into my mailbox from Virtusa. I thought of trying it.

Decided not to JOIN!

One more year of thinking!

This is the best time I have ever had in my life. Time to think and decide on future. Meanwhile, people started earning and I wasn't still earning anything and neighbors started to Poke my parents. Finally decided to join Accenture.

Clearing the big interviews is a secondary part for now. The primary part being "How did I get those opportunities?"
Here is the answer:

"I had a habit of reading Tech magazines (digit; chip; pcquest) a lot during my college days; and google the technologies showcased in them, bing the companies that use those cutting edge technologies and applied,re-applied and re-applied for open student intern positions on their career sites."

When I look back; past few months; I WAS A FAILURE; now realized the saying "FAILURES ARE THE STEPPING STONES TO SUCCESS".
For me are MICROSOFT AND TCS (Total:2), for others; can be 3,4 or even more.

As an experienced guy, I will jot down the important things that you must do in the beginning of your FINAL YEAR OF B.TECH

  • Prepare your mind for the worst that might happen.
  • Think of your RESPONSIBILITIES from your family's point of view.
  • Apply and reapply for open positions on the career sites of various companies right from the beginning.
  • If you really love studying further; GO FOR IT.
  • Believe in "there's an opportunity waiting for you. The best is yet to come" even if you miss one.
  • Always remember "People tend to focus on every details of what you do until they spot your weaknesses and faults to blame you, instead of focusing on your tireless efforts and the best you're trying to give." Parents never do it. Your mom always feels for your late night sleeps irrespective of the reason. Your dad shouts when you come late for the supper despite of your own work(reading/chatting) because they don't know what you do. All that they knew is care for you. Shout when you don't listen. Love your parents. Feel responsible.
  •  Time heals almost everything, when you failed, give time time.
Here is one more post "MUST DO THINGS IN THE FINAL SEMESTER BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR COLLEGE".

I wish all of my readers a wonderful success. Do post your comments.
Have a nice day

Disclaimer : The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily reflect any one's :)
Yours,
K. Medha  Chaitanya- ArCsOfLiFe.
about.me/medhachaitanya









1 comment:

  1. Congrats Medha :) .U are worth deserving person fr any MNC.. very nice and connecting post :) :)

    ReplyDelete